Sunday, November 8, 2015

Mom's Bithday and Trip to Virginia

On my mom's birthday itself, our plan was a trip to Virginia to see the Luray Caverns and driving through the Skyline Drive. My mom had been to both before and she absolutely loved it the first time she went there with her girlfriends; that is why this, for her birthday, she wanted to take my stepdad and me to those places. We got up bright and early in the morning, brushed out teeth, threw on comfortable clothes and left for our adventure. The first stop, of course, was Starbucks on one of the Service Areas en route. After fueling up on coffee and pastry, we took the course to our final destination. 



The second we got to the Caverns, it became very clear why my mom wanted to bring us there so much. The place was absolutely mesmerizing! First, we walked around the property, which included an old farm and a couple of tiny but interesting museums; and after the area was well-explored, we headed for the Caverns themselves. Amazing!








And after the Caverns, we got into the car and drove straight to the Skyline Drive. 


The plan was to have a picnic outside. However, as we started setting up the table and building the fire, we realized that it was way to cold outside, so we moved our picnic into the car and continued there.



2 comments:

  1. I went to Skyline Drive for the first time when I was 19 and it was the first time I was in mountains (other than driving on the PA Turnpike). I was overwhelmed by the beauty. A line from "American the Beautiful" popped into my mind--"for purple mountain majesties." I didn't really know how majestic mountains could be before that; I had only seen them in pictures or movies. But, to be there, surrounded by mountains, enveloped by them--it took my breath away. Thank you for reminding me of my innocence and appreciation for creation. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving, Ms. Madeline! They were indeed majestic, especially after it got dark. We're so used to the bright lights everywhere, but driving through this darkness was absolutely amazing, so mysterious

      Delete