Sunday, February 8, 2015

Music

Just like writing and drawing, music has become a huge part of my life to help me get through certain times and events. Last winter, when I was going through a very difficult time of my life, I came across a song posted on Facebook by a friend of mine. Out of curiosity I clicked on the link and listen to it. The song was by a metal band I had never heard before and was heavier than anything I had listened to. Prior to that, I only listened to pop and dance music; no rock, no metal, as the Russian in me thought that those genres were only for ‘crazy, weird Americans’. In my mind, metal and rock music was all about abuse, cruelty, drugs, screaming and yelling out lyrics that no one could understand. And there I was, listening to a metal song filled with beautiful, meaningful lyrics and a full range of instrumental, symphonic tunes (I later learned that the band was indeed a ‘symphonic metal’ band). Looking back at that accidental occurrence, I can say that it was a true life changer. All the worries, pain and sadness of the last winter were accompanied by the songs of the same and other similar bands. All of a sudden, I could relate to the lyrics and feel that someone, somewhere is or was going through something similar.

Since the last winter, the range of my favorite bands has definitely grown; however, the direction of my music preferences remained the same. What surprised me the most in the beginning stages of my new musical preferences, was that I started meeting more and more interesting people with the same taste in music. Coming from my home country, where a little deviation from social standards (in this case, the standard being pop music) pretty much makes you a freak, this was a huge revelation. I am happy I entered this world of incredible musical talent, as it is mostly the rock/metal bands that try to keep their creations as close to live performances as possible (meaning, the majority of them are opposed to using the so-called ‘Pro Tools’ focusing on playing the real instruments).

This year I decided to focus on attending live concerts at every opportunity I get. To date, I already saw two great performances (one of which was dubbed an ‘unusual choice’ by my cousin in Russia), and I am definitely planning on seeing more. If going to the concerts makes me incredibly happy and inspired, why not try to continue the trend?










2 comments:

  1. Music in one more avenue to get to know ourselves. Paying attention to what speaks to us--whether music, art, poetry, nature, etc.--is so important for self-awareness. God can use anything we encounter to help us to be free; we just need to be open to the message. Keep exploring and listening to your heart and inner voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ms. Madeline! Very good point =)

    ReplyDelete