Friday, January 2, 2015

Black City

I am sure you have heard it before that New Yorkers tend to wear black. I have always been a proponent for the brighter colors. My closet has always been full of various prints and patterns, pastels, and bold colors. When I moved to New York, I knew for sure that I will not abide by this ‘black trend’ and will continue going for brighter options.

As I was getting ready for our Christmas celebration, I picked out a few ‘dressier’ options to wear to the holiday gathering with the family. To my own surprise, all options were in black and dark gray shades. While my closet is still full of lively, bright colors, the population of black and gray colored pieces has definitely grown over the past two and a half years of living in the city. How did this happen? Many people link the tendency to wear black to depression and mourning; I simply think black is a functional color that is perfect for the city life; as an added bonus, it helps hide certain body imperfection and can look quite fabulous if worn right. 



No comments:

Post a Comment