Friday, June 20, 2014

All or Nothing

The ‘all or nothing’ mentality has been guiding me through pretty much my entire life. When it comes to working towards something, it has been a big deciding factor dictating what path I end up taking. I either eat extremely healthy, or I eat everything and anything, good or bad for me; I either have no plans and just relax every day after work, or I plan everything all at once. When that ‘All’ mentality kicks in, I enjoy it for a while, giving myself props for how well I am doing; until I get so overwhelmed by having to follow my own ‘rules’ that I eventually fall off the ‘healthy path’ and go back to doing nothing. Do you ever experience such moments? I have been thinking for a while about what may be causing such behavior. As we all know, our lives consist of some black, some white and a lot of gray. This gray, this uncertainty, is exactly what I try to avoid, usually by trying to separate everything into white and black. This way it’s easier to see what is ‘good’ and what is ‘bad’, what is ‘right’ and what it ‘wrong’, without any uncertainties. However, what if something simply cannot be categorized at strictly ‘black’ or ‘white’, what if in fact it just is ‘gray’? The great lesson here is trying to accept this gray and avoid defining it because aren’t our lives all about going through this uncertainty to find something that is meaningful? Let life take its course, as at the end of the day, everything will work out just the right way. Do not be afraid of trying new things, embrace the uncertainty in your life as it will guide you in the right direction. Whether you are doing all or nothing, it does not really matter at any given moment as you can change your behavior at any time. So don’t stress out, just take a step back and enjoy the current state of your life. 

Last weekend I had a great time visiting Media, PA - a small town right by my hometown, not very far from Philadelphia. A city girl that I am, I see a great deal of charm and appeal in small towns like this. All the cafes offering authentic foods and drinks, the shops displaying arrays of dainty little items - everything seems so genuine and heart-warming. It is moments like this, when you can walk though the calm and welcoming streets of such small towns, that make you realize that life is full of moments to enjoy, whether you have it all or nothing.







No comments:

Post a Comment