Sunday, May 18, 2014

May 17, 2014

Every year around the first day of spring I get the same anxious feeling about something that is coming up. I am not talking about the approaching summer season, which is also very exciting; what I am referring to is one day in life that I love probably the most – May 17th, aka my birthday. I don’t know where this obsession came from and when it began, but for as long as I can remember, I have always treated my birthdays as something truly special and somewhat sacred. Every year, as the spring comes along, I start counting down the days and planning my celebration. I can say that generally I am not a person who craves attention in my daily life; in fact, I get quite uncomfortable when the spotlight is on me (unless I’m out dancing, that’s when I just have to be in the middle of the dance floor). Call it shy, call it boring – it is what it is. However, there is this one day every year when I like everything to be just about me, and I’m not shy about letting everyone know that “today is my birthday”. I love living my birthdays to the fullest. The busier the day – the better!
As you may already know, this year, the year of the Horse according to the Chinese zodiac horoscope, is also the year I was born in. I am not a huge believer in horoscopes but I think there is definitely something to it. Therefore, I wanted this year to be more meaningful and unique. Whether it meant spending the day completely by myself doing something I enjoyed or going out with friends, I wanted to truly focus on what I felt inside. I must say, the mission was accomplished – this year’s birthday was absolutely amazing and truly meaningful! From the beautiful birthday wishes I received from my family and friends (thank you so much everyone for such kind words!) to spending every minute of the day doing something I loved, it will certainly be a day to remember. Here’s a little picture story capturing my May 17th, 2014.

I woke up, got ready and decided to go out for brunch. As I was heading out the door, I decided to grab my new camera and try it out on the NYC scenery (the picture above was intentionally made so blurry. Adds a creative touch J). 

 The day was absolutely beautiful – sunny, warm, uplifting.

I was happy to run into a street fair that ran on 9th Avenue between 30s and 50s Streets. I didn't buy anything but it's very exciting that it's finally the 'street fair' season in NYC!


After I browsed through the street fair and had my brunch, I headed over to a nail salon for a birthday mani/pedi.

With my new beautiful nails, I decided to take a few shots of the beautiful NYC sites.


Back of the New York Public Library, Bryant Park.

Spring flower beds in Bryant Park.



 
I just love these old street lamps you can find all over the city. I always try to capture them in my photos.

The evening was reserved for a dinner with the girls at Tartinery, a French restaurant in Nolita. Make sure to check it out if you are ever in NYC - great food, affordable prices, amazing ambiance!


My birthday celebration came to its close with the rising sun of the next day J

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment