Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Pursuit of Happiness

We get mad, we complain, we get upset. We focus on what cannot be done or what will not happen. We run away from our problems just to face them in an altered appearance. We get irritated and we irritate others. We disagree, we fight back. We stand our ground and we try to prove our point. We make decisions and we worry that they may not be the right ones. We go through changes, we try to change others. We try to adapt to our surroundings just to realize they are very subjective; we try to adjust our surroundings just to realize they are invariable. We go through all these states in pursuit of happiness just to realize that we already have the means to be happy, it’s just a matter of finding balance and letting ourselves be. Don’t wait for someone to tell you what’s right or wrong – act as your heart desires, act on a whim. Be yourself and be grateful. 

All of the above very much applies to me. I keep complaining when things could be much worse, I keep looking for more when I have quite enough, I focus on the negative when there is so much positive around me. All of these things are not necessarily bad, as they do help me strive for more; however, there comes a point when you realize that you possess a great deal of power when it comes to making yourself feel better or feel worse. As a simple example, I buy all these clothes because wearing them really makes me feel better, but then they end up hanging in the closet and never being worn as I wait for a 'special day' to wear them. Why not make every day a special day? Working on it, people, working on it.



 
Shorts: Express;  Top: NY & Company;  Boots: INC

3 comments:

  1. Olga, I find it interesting that you changed from first person ("I keep complaining.., I keep looking for more when I have quite enough, I focus on the negative ...as they do help me strive for more...") to second person ("...you realize that you possess a great deal of power when it comes to making yourself feel better or feel worse.") when you talked about the power you possess. I wonder how it would sound to you to say (out loud), "I realize I possess a great deal of power when it comes to making myself feel better or feel worse." Great outfit, by the way. I especially love the boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Ms. Madeline, that is a very interesting observation - I haven't even realized I did that! What's even more interesting is that it actually is difficult to say that second part in first person. Definitely something to work on!

      Delete
  2. We all master the theory. On the other hand, the practice..... :)

    ReplyDelete