Sunday, March 3, 2013

Speakeasy Dollhouse, Part 2

Mesmerizing. Mysterious. Engaging. Fun. Fabulous! It’s everything you expect it to be and even more… Yes, this was my second time attending the Speakeasy Dollhouse immersive play, and yes, I do realize that I’m a little obsessed, but why wouldn’t I be?! The Speakeasy Dollhouse play is an absolutely amazing, fascinating, stunning event. From entering the event through a tiny door and appearing in the Prohibition-era New York City speakeasy, to evidencing random encounters and mysterious murders, to experiencing the true atmosphere of the “roaring twenties” with all its glitz and glamour and burlesque performances, you just cannot get enough.

Of course, the event would not be such huge success if it weren’t for the incredible group of actors who truly make it the best experience you can possibly have. Having gone to the play this time made me remember and reflect on something I have not thought of in quite a while. The amazing world of performing…

I think it’s so amazing to be a part of something like this. I haven’t though of it in a long time, but the play last night made me remember how special and captivating was the time when I was “an artist.” I put that in quotes because I don’t think I can call myself a true artist as it was more of an on-the-side hobby; however, it was a big part of my life and a big part of me at the time. Back when I lived in Russia, I took dancing [ballroom, latin, and other types names to which I unfortunately do not even know]. Our group got to travel around the country and even went to Greece for a month to perform and enjoy the sea and sun of the “country of olive trees and feta cheese.” Every time we had to perform it was one of the most amazing experiences, one of the most amazing feelings. On the day of any performance you can feel the anxiety and anticipation building up. You would usually spend the whole day with your ‘crew’, rehearsing and preparing for the show. The whole day would be filled with anxiety and excitement that you just cannot get enough of, and every activity becomes a communal effort, from doing hair and makeup to helping each other put on the beautiful costumes and make sure they look flawless. And finally the moment comes when you stand behind the curtains nervous but pleasantly euphoric, waiting for the music to start playing. All your emotions that have been building up throughout the day – anticipation, anxiety, excitement, happiness, fear – are starting to come out. And then you hear the music and its your cue to go on stage, and once you are out there, suddenly all those emotions disappear and you become a part of that moment, a part of the act, enjoying every second of it, trying to soak in as much energy from the audience as possible and trying to return as much of it to the audience as you can.

I’d like to say a special ‘Thank You’ to all the actors of the Speakeasy Dollhouse and to everyone who continues to keep this event alive. The Speakeasy Dollhouse is a truly inspiring experience. I must say going there for the second time did not feel redundant at all; instead it gave me a different amazing experience and a different perspective on art and creativity. The only thing I regret is that having been so engaged into the events of the play last night, I forgot to check out the ACTUAL speakeasy dollhouse that was brought to the play for the first time! Well, all the more reason to come back again… 

This time around I got to wear this awesome sparkly flapper costume that I bought for last year's Halloween party. Who knew that I would have a perfect occasion to wear it to again?












Dress: Party City; Shoes: Guess; Bracelet: NY & Company

5 comments:

  1. Olga, you look stunning! Great job! You have a very special way to introduce youself, not just outside, but what is the most important - inside! Follow your heart, your dreams. They will never let you down! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that dress, such fun!

    xoxo from nyc & the beautiful things!

    visit my blog to enter a GIVEAWAY for a $50 gift certificate to celeb fave Ettika Jewelry: http://tinyurl.com/ahen4j4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heeey, flapper girl! You look pretty awesome. I think I need to go back in time on your blog, now, and read up on what led up to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun dress!! and pretty girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is the best blog in the history of blogs

    ReplyDelete