Sunday, August 19, 2012

City Love

They say you have to live for 10 years in Manhattan before you can call yourself a New Yorker. While there are rarely instances where I do not support public opinion, I entirely object this idea. Ever since I visited New York for the first time, 5 or so years ago, I knew for sure that this is absolutely my city. Call me crazy, but more and more do I realize that I have some kind of kinship with this city. While I know well enough that nothing is absolutely perfect, I consider everything about this city just close to perfection. Nothing bothers me here – not the crazy noise, the weird smells, the messy, dirty corners, the strange people you sometimes run into – all of those things are over-weighed by its overabundance of places to go, things to do, and people to meet. I once heard that New York is the loneliest city on earth. However, it might as well be the friendliest, most communal one at the same time. After all, it’s like the half-empty/half-full glass of water – it simply depends on from what point one looks at it and what type of personality one has. As for me, the city itself is the best friend. It can be entertaining if you chose to see a Broadway show; it can be fun it you chose to go shopping; it can be educative if you chose to go to a museum or exhibition; it can be wild if you chose to go to a night club; it can be exciting if you chose to try a new restaurant; it can be compassionate if you chose to visit a memorial, it can be relaxing if you decide to have a brunch in the park, and can be so many more other things… It is the city that incorporates so many personalities and so many activities – there truly is a place for everyone. Everyone who can handle its busy rhythm and dynamic, crazy character, that is.
This weekend, my mom can over, and we had the chance to have the most amazing mama-daughter weekend one can have! From having a lunch at Dean and Deluca, to visiting the zoo at the Central Park, to walking through a street fair on 6th avenue that spread from 42nd to 56th streets, to having a huge gyro for lunch while taking a break at Bryant Park, to enjoying a cup of latte with the most delicious French macaroon at Bouchon Bakery, to buying delicious produce at Whole Foods and eating the majority of it on a couch in front of a TV while watching one of our favorite movies – the day seems endless, and the emotions kept growing better and better.
After all that, the only thing I can say is New York is a city where opportunities are limitless and dreams seem to be coming true with every move, every attempt. This is the city that will not leave you alone – it will keep you occupied if only you don’t mind playing by its rules. Don’t get me wrong – it is unquestionably not easy to live here, but I am willing to make necessary sacrifices to make it here – that is just how much I love it…







Cardigan, Pants and Earrings: NY & Company; Top: American Eagle;  Shoes: Bebe;  Bag; Liz Claiborne; Glasses: Missoni;  Watch: a gift from Aunt and Uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment